Friday, November 14, 2014

Creating a Crocheted Butterfly from a Picture

by M. J. Joachim


Thanks to a friendly email I received today, I’m trying something a little bit different in this post. I’m looking at the picture which I found on a free crochet website, and trying to figure out how the butterfly is made. I did not read the article or look at the instructions on the site.







  • The first thing I notice is that 3 colors are used.

  • It looks like the butterfly is made from a circle that is folded in half, and has 8 shells for the final round.

  • I’m guessing I would have to chain 4 and join with a slip stitch to begin.

  • There are (probably 8) sets of 3 double crochet stitches in the center round, with chain stitches in between - hmm, maybe 1 or 2

  • Join the 2nd color to one of the chain sections for the next round. Make (3 dc + chain 2 + 3 dc) in the center of each chain section. Begin by chaining 3 (counts as 1st dc), make 2 more dc, chain 2 and 3 more dc in same place. 

  • Join 3rd color to any chain space for the final round. Chain 3 (counts as 1st dc), make 8 dc in same place; make 8 dc in each chain space around

  • Fold in half and make 2 antennae with the chain stitch. I’m sure we’d need to fiddle with this part, to get it just right.

I’ll have to test this over the weekend to see if I’m right. Either way, it’s kind of a fun game to play, looking at a picture of something crocheted and trying to figure out how it was done.

Thanks so much for supporting Lots of Crochet Stitches with so much enthusiasm and kindness. Your comments, shares and emails are always received with a smile, because I truly do appreciate you. Here’s to a wonderful weekend for all.

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved