Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Simple Single Crochet Washcloth 051513


by M. J. Joachim
It’s been a while since I last posted. During that time, my oldest daughter graduated from college and family played center stage. One of the things I did during our family time was start teaching my son’s girlfriend how to crochet. We went shopping for yarn and hooks and spent a few hours at my kitchen table working on kitchen washcloths together.
The pattern is simple enough. Begin by taking one of your standard washcloths. Measure it and make a foundation chain that is approximately the same width. Make single crochet stitches in each chain across, and continue making single crochet rows until you have a rectangle that is about ¾ of the size square you need for your washcloth.
Change colors and make a shell border on one end. Begin by making one single crochet stitch in the first stitch. Skip the next stitch, make a shell (5 double crochet stitches) in the following stitch, skip the next stitch and make a single crochet stitch in the following stitch. Continue working this sequence across your row – [sc + skip + shell + skip + sc + skip + shell + skip + sc etc…]
My washcloth ended with one stitch left over, so I made a single crochet decrease for the last stitch. It is easy to use this pattern with any number in your foundation chain, and simply adjust the shell border accordingly, so it still looks nice. That’s one of the reasons I like this simple kitchen washcloth pattern, because it allows and responds well to the flexibility of the person crocheting it.
I’m still working on a couple of doilies to share with all of you. One is so close to being finished. I just need to sit down and spend a couple hours finishing it up and writing the instructions for you. Now that things are settling down around here a bit, I’m betting I’ll have time to do just that in the fairly near future.
Thank you so much for visiting Lots of Crochet Stitches. I hope you enjoy this washcloth. You can even make a matching kitchen towel. Simply make your cloth much longer before adding your final trim.
All my best to each of you. I hope you and yours are well and you’re finding lots of time to crochet and do all the things you love to do.
M. J.
Photo credit:  M. J. Joachim
©2013 All Rights Reserved