Saturday, April 27, 2013

Xanthisma Flower


by M. J. Joachim
I have to say, X is one of my favorite flowers for this challenge. Funny that last year’s X post is also a favorite of mine. This little flower is so bright and cheerful, plus it’s one of the easiest patterns I’ve made. Of course by the time I got to X, I was getting pretty good at designing flowers. But still, this little flower makes me smile and I want to make whole vases full of them, to brighten up dull spaces in my home and bring a little sunshine to inconspicuous corners.



I used yellow embroidery floss, green pipe cleaner and a two-holed yellow button to make my flower.
Step 1:  Chain 2, make 6 single crochet in 2nd chain from hook
Step 2:  Single crochet in same place and in each single crochet around; join with slip stitch to 1st single crochet
Step 3:  Chain 4, single crochet in 2nd chain from hook and in each chain back to single crochet; slip stitch in sc in center.
[Repeat Step 3 once in same place and twice in each single crochet around, joining with slip stitch to 1st stitch in round]
Finish off.

 


Step 4:  Insert pipe cleaner from bottom through top of flower. Weave pipe cleaner through a yellow two-holed button and back through base of flower, pulling it securely into place.
Step 5:  Use short end of pipe cleaner to wrap around loose threads; trim loose ends and pull tips of flower petals out to separate them. Steam and starch if desired
All patterns for A – Z Challenge 2013 are originals designed and created by me, so please abide by all copyright laws. However, you are more than welcome to link to my work. In fact, I would very much appreciate it if you do. Thank you!

 



Thank you for visiting Lots of Crochet Stitches.
M. J.
Photo credit:  M. J. Joachim (©2013 All Rights Reserved); xanthisma spinulosum, Stan Shebs, GFDL (both photos)
©2013 All Rights Reserved