Thursday, February 21, 2013

Sore Crochet Hands – Gotcha Covered!


by M. J. Joachim
When you love to crochet as much as I do, it becomes inevitable. Sooner or later your hands are going to get sore, and you might even develop a few callouses on your fingers. Like with anything else, you need to take care of yourself, or you’ll never want to pick up that hook again.
One of my favorite remedies for the dreaded sore hands is green drinks. Seriously folks, these things work! I’m not talking about sugary, over-rated fancy drinks they sell in the grocery store. I’m talking about nutritious vegetable + fruit drinks, made to give your bloodstream a boost and kick those healing mechanisms into high gear!
Dark green leafys with a clove of garlic and some fresh fruit can’t be beat – speaking of which, beet tops are amazing! I grow a lot of my own green leafys personally. When my body screams with aches and pains – whatever the cause…could be I slept wrong and my back is killing me, or maybe I spent too much time pulling weeds in the garden. It doesn’t matter what it is, these drinks make me feel better in record time. As for crochet pain – my right thumb has been killing me lately. Started drinking my green drinks again – the swelling went right down, and my hook is still going strong!
Listen to your body. If you truly can’t crochet – DON’T CROCHET! I feel like I’m speaking sacrilege, considering the title of this blog. However, if you continue to crochet when your fingers and thumbs are killing you, you’re likely to cause further injury, in which case you might have to stop crocheting for months. Now that would be so wrong, so very wrong indeed!
Put your lotion in the fridge and use it while it’s cold! Massage it into your hands and let it soothe them. Hey, if you can afford it, treat yourself to regular manicures too. My manicures are reserved for special occasions; every time I wonder why I don’t go more often! Wowee!!! I’ve had some of the absolute best hand massages in those places!
Stretch your fingers…all the time! I have the funniest little dog. He’s stretches more than anyone I know, and you know what, he’s got a shake in his little tushy that no one can rival. My bet is on the fact he stretches so much. So if you want your fingers to be nice and limber with crochet hook in hand, stretching them often has to be on my list of advice!
Anyway, this has been a really fun post to write. I hope it’s been useful for you too. The advice I offer here is all tried and true. I do every one of these things myself. I’m not a doctor, and this is a far cry from medical advice. It’s just from one avid crocheter to another, in the hopes your hands never hurt too much to crochet!
That’s all for now,
Thank you for visiting Lots of Crochet Stitches.
Until next time, I wish you every good thing!
M. J.

Photo credit:  Crochet – round, flora, GNU Free Documentation License
©2013 All Rights Reserved

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... fresh green veggie drinks, never thought of that. Must try it as my right shoulder is killing me right now. Really helpful. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a nice weekend, Sangeetha:) Hope your shoulder gets better real soon!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this post. I have RA and have to watch how much I crochet but this was an informative post. Thanks.

    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad, Grammy and I truly hope it helps you quite a bit! When you love to crochet, it's hard to do if your hands are sore. Maybe you can ease the pain a bit, and enjoy crocheting more frequently now:)

      Delete
  3. I've had problems with my skin - depending on the fibre being worked and the humidity (or lack thereof). I know the mantra of moisturize-moisturize-moisturize, and it does work, but my favourite moistuizers aren't to be found in pharmacies or supermarkets. Bag Balm http://www.bagbalm.com/ and/or Udderly Smooth http://www.udderlysmooth.com/ are the ones I swear by.
    I'm a life-long city dweller. I've never more than briefly visited any farm, and I'm totally unconnected to those manufacturers. I just like the swift results and the fact that neither product gums up the yarn OR has (uselessly) added fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen bag balm at Walgreen's. Maybe they carry it there where you live. If not, you can always ask them to, since they already stock it in some stores.

      Delete