Friday, February 22, 2013

Reading Crochet Patterns


by M. J. Joachim
Today I spent some time trying to make one of those patterns I found on another website. I was planning to make it, take a picture and share the link to their page on our blog today.
Now I’m no novice when it comes to following patterns, but this one – though it seems simple enough, is driving me crazy. To top it off, the site is in another language, so I’m following a diagram, as opposed to a row by row (step by step) process.
Suffice to say, it’s not happening, and I’m not sure it ever will. When I have that much difficulty trying to decipher a pattern, moving on is the only alternative. At some point, I will likely write my own pattern for something very similar and share it with you.
This experience has me curious. What is your preference for following crochet patterns? How do you feel about reading diagrams?  I learned to read instructions first, but find diagrams very helpful when I get confused about anything. Do you prefer one over the other, or do you use both, like I do?
Best of Friday and the weekend to you!
Until next time, happy crocheting!
M. J.
Photo credit:  Crochet Solid Shell Stitch, WillowW, GNU Free Documentation License
©2013 All Rights Reserved