Saturday, January 26, 2013

Recycling Old Yarn


by M. J. Joachim
I’m taking the plunge today…diving in and unraveling an ancient project that turned out completely horrible. It was an experiment during some of my earliest crochet days – one where I combined 3 strands of yarn and used one of those mombo crochet hooks. You know? The kind you’re supposed to use with very thick yarn or fabric.
So today I started unraveling and winding up balls of yarn. Yea, this might turn into a weekend project that goes all the way into next week. However, when all is said and done, I will have recycled some perfectly good yarn. I will also feel liberated and happy, having finally gotten rid of that ugly project and made way to turn it into something useful. (Check out the new broad leaf pattern listed in website updates. I've already put some of this recycled yarn to good use!)
How about you? Do you have a crochet project hidden away and stored in a cupboard, closet or box somewhere? One you can’t quite part with, but wonder why you ever made too? Take my advice on this one. Recycle that old project into new and usable yarn for future projects. It feels good, and it’s bound to make you smile.
Until next time, happy crocheting!
M. J.
©2013 All Rights Reserved