Thursday, September 27, 2012

Yarn Talk – Feedback Encouraged


by M. J. Joachim
Greetings Good People! I hope this day finds you well and happy as can beJ
A couple of “crochet” things have come up this week, and I’m hoping to get some feedback from you about them.
One
While using some doily thread remnants, I underestimated the amount I had left. I expected to make 5 or 6 motifs with it, and I’m already on 7 or 8 with thread to spare. It seems I have a generous spool at my disposal, and that my usual eyeballing technique is not always to be trusted. No matter. This project (which will be displayed and shared in the coming weeks) will be all the better for it.
Naturally, this leads me to the question of how you plan projects with your yarn remnants and scraps. Do you stick to mosaics, small items (that never quite use up the yarn you’re using), or … well, that’s why I’m asking. How do you use your remnants and scraps?
Two
This is more of a pet peeve of mine. You’re working away, in the middle of a detailed and intense project, when suddenly you come across a knot in the middle of your yarn. To be clear, I’m not referring to tangled thread here; I’m talking about yarn that’s been spun incorrectly by the manufacturer.
There’s no way you could have predicted it would be there. To create your piece properly, you almost have to tear out to the beginning of the row or round, cut out the knot and rejoin a new thread. Luckily when this happened to me the first time this week, I was able to bury the knot in the center of a puff stitch. However, the second time it happened to me was not so accommodating. Doily thread rarely is in situations like this.
It’s a frustration to be sure, and I’m curious, do you leave knots in your work and hope they don’t show too much? Do you tear out your work and eliminate the knot, to prevent unnecessary blemishes in your pattern? Does anyone contact the manufacturer, talk about this on social networking sites, blog about it or do we all just deal with knots in our yarn, and carry on?
Christmas is rapidly approaching, and I’ve several projects in mind for it…some of them I’ll be giving as gifts. Consequently, I won’t always be showing step-by-step work in progress – at least not until the holidays are over. Rest assured, I’m writing down patterns and saving them for future blog posts, so you can make them too.
Speaking of which…
How many of you spend months crocheting gifts for holidays and special events? Does anyone make their own ribbon, package ties or festive decorations? I’d love to “deck the halls” of this blog with photos of your hand-made delights. Please send pics to mjjoachimswriting@gmail.com, with a short write-up about them. We’ll do a little link-back, so people can visit your site directly tooJ Don’t forget to put Lots of Crochet Stitches Blog in the subject of the email, so I open it right away.
That’s all for now, good peopleJ Thanks for stopping by!
M. J.


©2012 All Rights Reserved
Photo Credit: Wikicommons, National Archives