Monday, May 7, 2012

The Process of Designing New Patterns


There’s a process I follow when designing and making new patterns. I begin with regular 4-ply yarn and an average size hook. This way I can test my stitches, tear them out (I've been tearing out quite a few stitches in this piece today) with ease, experiment with different ideas and determine what focal points and special details I want to include, as well as the placement of curves and straight lines.

The pattern I started today is a work in progress. I’m debating how I want this “rough draft” to take shape, and although I was originally thinking it would probably be a new doily pattern, I recognize the potential of this piece. It could just as easily be turned into a summer hat, placemat or even a reusable shopping bag.

Since it’s still a work in progress, it’s hard to say where my hands, hook and yarn will lead me. Naturally, I’ll keep you posted as it develops. And of course, once my pattern is completed and tested, I will publish it on Lots of Crochet Stitches by M. J. Joachim, so you can make one too. All worries cast aside, kind friends, I’ll be sure to include a thorough tutorial, complete with pictures as always. Happy Monday, good people! Wishing you only good things, as always!