Saturday, May 5, 2012

Experimenting with Crochet Design


It’s been a bit of a lazy Saturday around here, but I simply couldn’t let the day go by without checking in with all of my fabulous crochet followers. I don’t have a tutorial or pattern for you today. Instead I have a crochet experiment – something I like to do from time to time, so I can come up with different patterns and ideas. It’s how I give my creativity a bit of a jolt, if you will, and one of the many ways I continue to design and create new things.

Today I chose 3 stitches that I enjoy making: single crochet, double crochet and puff stitch. Then I toyed with the idea of using these stitches in different sequences. That’s all that crochet patterns are anyway – a series of different crochet stitches, designed in different sequences which ultimately make new patterns, right?

So today I used the stitches mentioned above. I started with a foundation chain and made a row of single crochet across it. On the next row, I alternated double crochet and puff stitches, 2 double crochet stitches, 1 puff stitch, 2 double crochet stitches, 1 puff stitch…repeat the pattern across the row. Then I alternated single crochet rows with my dc/puff stitch sequence of rows.

Mind you, this is far from a perfect pattern, ready to be printed and shared in dutifully edited crochet books or on crochet pattern sites. It’s still a work in progress, as I will need to chart my stitches to determine an accurate foundation row multiplier (+ however many extra chains I need to keep the rows straight).

This is an exercise in experimenting with crochet stitches and design. It’s something I want you to try too. I want you to pick up a hook and some yarn, choose 2 – 4 stitches you enjoy making, and randomly create a crochet design. You don’t have to make rows. You can chain a few stitches and form a ring like we do sometimes, and then use your stitches randomly around the ring. The goal is to learn the beginning phases of making your own crochet patterns and designs. Be sure to let me know how things worked out in the comments to this post. I'm always excited to hear from you, and I'd like to know how you enjoyed experimenting with design too.

Now before I go, I’d like to mention one other thing…

You’re invited to help me celebrate receiving my very first blogging award today.  Dana from The Daily Dose, was more than kind to share the love with me, after she too received the award. Kudos to you, as well, Dana! It was so exciting and I was required to share a little bit about myself when I made my post accepting the award. If you’d like to get to know me better, here’s your chance. Simply visit my other blog:


©2012 All Rights Reserved