Monday, April 30, 2012

Zenith Crochet Bookmark Pattern



Z is for Zip-a-dee-doo-dah and Zenith Crochet Bookmark Pattern, of course.  The A – Z Blogger Challenge I’ve participated in for the month of April has been exhilarating; combining it with Knitting and Crochet Blog Week this past week has been phenomenal, and I’m in a zip-a-dee-doo-dah mood, to be sure!
I had already determined it was high time to re-energize my (very old) blogs, and these activities have truly inspired me to do just that. In fact, I spent much of the morning, prior to preparing this post, giving an entirely new look to one of them. I’ll keep you posted once the content is up to date, in case you’d like to follow me there too.
Nuts and bolts, as it were…
I need to file my A – Z posts into the pages on this blog this week; I’m hoping to finish sorting and categorizing them all by tomorrow.  Onto the zenith bookmark pattern, good people; I hope you enjoy making it as much as I did.



You Will Need

Size 8/1.50 mm steel crochet hook
Size 10 doily thread – This is a small project, so you don’t need very much. Leftover yarn from previous projects works well . You’ll need 3 colors, a base color and 2 colors for woven overlay.
Felt or other backing material: Scraps, denim from an old pair of jeans you’ve made into cutoffs for summer, anything that works with your creativity will do.
Foundation Chain:  Chain 16
Use the WovenOverlay Stitch to Create your bookmark.
Step 1:  Make mesh background the appropriate length for your bookmark.  Once it is the correct length, you can make the zenith (or crown) at the top of your bookmark. Do not break off.
Step 2:  Turn; slip stitch into 1st chain, 1st dc and 2nd
Step 3:  Chain 5, skip next 2 dc and slip stitch into next chain
Step 4:  Turn; chain 5, single crochet into chain 5 loop, chain 5, slip stitch into last chain of chain 5 loop from previous row.
Step 5:  Turn; [chain 5, single crochet in next chain 5 loop] twice; chain 5, slip stitch into last chain of chain 5 loop from previous round. Finish off. Weave in loose end.


Step 6:  Use 2 colors to finish woven overlay stitch, weaving over/under in alternating chain 1 rows. Make beginning and end tails long enough to weave in on back side of book mark.

 

Step 7:  Cut piece of matching fabric and attach to back of bookmark with fusible web, fabric glue or even by sewing it in place.

©2012 All Rights Reserved