Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Octagon Crochet Motif


Using shape motifs can be a lot of fun when you crochet, because many of them piece together so easily. It’s a given their sides will all be the same, allowing you to build almost any project at random. This octagon crochet motif is my own original design. I like it because it has a hint of lace, while still being closely woven. You can join this motif on the sides or the points, depending on the design you want to create with your motifs and finished project. 





Step 1:  Chain 4; form ring by slip stitching into 1st chain


Step 2:  Chain 3 (counts as 1st double crochet); make 7 dc in center of ring


Step 3:  Chain 5 (counts as 1st dc + 2 chain stitches); dc in next dc
Step 4:  Chain 2, dc in next dc; repeat for each stitch around, ending with a slip stitch in 3rd chain of 5 chain stitches at beginning of round


Step 5:  Slip Stitch into chain 2 space; chain 3 (counts as 1st dc), make 2 more dc in chain 2 space
Step 6:  Make 3 dc in each chain 2 space around, joining with a slip stitch to top chain of 1st dc



Step 7:  Chain 1, sc in same space, make 3 sc in next dc and 1 sc in next dc
Step 8:  For each of the groups of 3 double crochet stitches in previous round, make (1 sc in first stitch, 3 sc in second stitch, 1 sc in third stitch); join with a slip stitch to 1st sc of round
Step 9:  Chain 3 (counts as 1st dc), *dc in next sc; make (2 dc, chain 1, 2 dc) in next sc , make 1 dc in each of the next 4 single crochet stitches


{Repeat Step 9 from * around, joining with a slip stitch to top chain of 1st dc in round.}

©2012 All Rights Reserved

8 comments:

  1. Hey there, That is a nice stitch, and I think I am going to ask my Mom, who is the crocheter in the family to make me up some coasters for the living room to match my new curtains. Thanks for sharing.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking this would make a nice coaster set yesterday when I made 3 of them. However, I've got something else in mind for it. We'll see what I come up with... As for your mom being the crocheter in the family...no reason you can't join her. This is such an easy craft to learn. Once you try it, I'm sure you'll be hooked:) Thanks for visiting. I'll look forward to seeing you again soon:)

      Delete
  2. The octagon is a very sweet looking design. I vote for baby blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a bit of a different idea up my sleeve...if it turns out like I plan, I'll be blogging about it in the future. Stay tuned:)

      Delete
  3. This actually seems like it would be fun - something to do lakeside while waiting for a bite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of fun, Mac, and anyone can do it...just twist a little yarn, fabric, rope or whatever and use a hook to hold it all together:) Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting.

      Delete
  4. My aunt used this to weave us siblings a blanket each.

    Look forward to the rest of your challenge run…can’t believe we’ve had 15 days already!
    --Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time will tell us both, dear co-host. Q is on the schedule and R is in the works. As for S, T, U, V, W, X, Y and Z...well, that's going to take some twists and turns, as I try to match each letter of the alphabet with a daily theme...might end up doing 2 posts on a couple of those days, depending on how my mind wanders and rambles... Great stories on your blog, btw. Always a nice place to visit for a good read:)

      Delete