Sunday, April 29, 2012

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week Crafting Balance Day 3KCBWDAY7


Photo Credit: Wikicommons


Crafting balance isn’t merely about alternating between yarn craft skills for me. Clearly I’m more of a crocheter than anything else. However, I do use numerous other yarn and craft skills as necessary, to enhance many of my projects. Crochet is strategically a solid foundation, allowing other skills to develop and be displayed in embellishing ways throughout my work.  3KCBWDAY7

This particular hat and scarf is one of my earliest attempts to combine knitting and crochet together. I was bound and determined to learn to knit, especially since so many people said, “You either crochet or knit, but very few people actually do both and do them both well.” Sounded like a challenge to me…


Weaving is another fiber arts craft that I positively think is gorgeous. I’ll never profess to being a weaver, but I will use weaving as necessary to enhance my projects and make them a bit more …shall we say, unique? 

Photo Credit: Wikicommons

The same goes for beadwork. I mean, who can resist all those positively artsy beads out there, and why would anyone in their right mind want to, especially when they can make such phenomenal accents to beautiful projects?

Photo Credit: Wikicommons


The real crafting balance for me comes with writing about my crafts. This is where my personality comes full circle, because I was born a writer – not a photographer by any means. My natural instinct is to teach; I spent a number of years in the classroom, as well as daycare centers (including my own home daycare when my kids were young), and I thoroughly enjoyed the teaching phase of my life. My personal delight of the fine world of fiber arts is something that by rights has to be shared. The obvious answer comes to mind – a World Wide Web and blogging force the issues.


When you think about it logically, blogging can also be considered a craft, albeit a computerized one. So the quest for creating crafting balance in my life is more about balancing yarn crafts with blogging, than it is about preferring one yarn craft over the other. Learning the ins and outs of blogging will enhance my computer and photography skills in the long run, which consequently will encourage me to share my yarn crafts all the more. 



©2012 All Rights Reserved