Monday, April 2, 2012

Filet Crochet Scarf Pattern

Filet crochet is the art of making pictures and designs while crocheting. The filet crochet scarf pattern is a simple design that works up quickly. I used size 3 crochet thread, but you can use any size doily thread, or even regular yarn for a different effect. Smaller yarns will naturally make a much narrower scarf – possibly something you’d like to use as a belt even, while heavier yarns will create the opposite effect.

You Will Need
1 skein size 3, crochet thread
Size D crochet hook
Note:  Using different size thread and hook size will change yarn requirements for finished project.
Measurements for scarf in photo:  42 inches long, 4 ½ inches wide


Foundation Row:  Chain 30 (+3, which counts as 1st double crochet); double crochet in the 4th chain from hook and in each chain across, turn
Step 1:  Chain 3 (1st dc in row) + 5, *skip next 5 dc, dc in next dc
{Repeat from * across row, ending with 1 dc in top of turning chain, turn}
Step 2:  Chain 3 (1st dc in row) + 5, dc in next dc, chain 5, dc in next dc, make 5 dc in next chain 5 space, dc in next dc, chain 5, dc in next dc, chain 5, dc in 6th chain from hook; turn
Step 3:  Chain 3 (1st dc in row) + 5, dc in next dc, [make 5 dc in chain 5 space, dc in next 7 dc, make 5 dc in next chain 5 space], dc in next dc, chain 5, dc in 6th chain from hook; turn
Step 4:  Chain 3 (1st dc in row) + 5, dc in next dc, chain 5, skip next 5 dc, dc in next 7 dc’s, chain 5, skip next 5 dc’s, dc in next dc, chain 5, dc in 6th chain from hook, turn
Step 5:  Chain 3 (1st dc in row) + 5, dc in next dc, chain 5, dc in next dc, chain 5, skip next 5 dc, dc in next dc, chain 5, dc in next dc, chain 5, dc in 6th chain from hook, turn
Step 6:  Chain 3 (1st dc in row), dc 5 times in each chain 5 space and once in each dc across.
{Repeat Steps 1 – 6 for pattern, ending with Step 6.}
Weave in loose ends. Steam and lay flat to finish.

©2012 All Rights Reserved

12 comments:

  1. I'll have to check this out when I have time. I like to learn new things, and I've never tried anything in the crochet/knitting/fabric field :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll find crocheting is one of the easiest yarn crafts to learn. And it's a lot of fun too! Thanks for stopping by, Li:) It's a pleasure to meet you!

      Delete
  2. I have not crocheted in so long, I am not sure I still could. I will have to share this blog with some people I know that are really good at crochet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's like riding a bike, Ruth. I'm sure you could still make beautiful treasures with crochet. Thank you for sharing my blog with others. That's very thoughtful of you:)

      Delete
  3. Hey There, Thanks for the pattern. I am the world's worse crocheter, but my Mom loves crocheting and is so quick, you should see that needle fly. She always makes me stuff, will have to pass this pattern on to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. really appreciate it. I use a few beads with my crochet, but nothing like the bead designs you share on your blog...really pretty stuff you have there:)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, I love your blog! I'm an artist-- avid knitter, seamstress, painter, drawer, beader/jeweler, embroiderer, sculptor, screen printer, and many other things!-- and I DO crochet, but I'm self-taught as an adult. I can do pretty much anything I set my mind to doing, but I'm always looking for ways to improve my crochet.

    Your blog has some fabulous stitches that have the potential to turn into wonderfully beautiful patterns. Looking forward to seeing what comes next! <3

    *~* Julia *~* http://beautifullywhimsical.blogspot.com *~*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beads and crochet go pretty well together. I have a feeling I'm going to learn a lot from you too. Wishing you only good things and wonderful success with the A - Z Challenge, Julia:)

      Delete
  5. Oh girl I love what you do here. I crochet when I find the time and I will be visiting you a lot! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma:) It's a pleasure meeting you and I'm sure it will be lots of fun getting to know each other. Best of the day to you!

      Delete
  6. Ooh I like the design here, great job! As well your blog 'makeover' looks very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christy:) Nice to see you here! Thanks for the kind comments! You should try this pattern. It's very easy and I think you'll like it a lot:)

      Delete