Thursday, March 15, 2012

Loop Stitch Flower

by M. J. Joachim
Updated 4/20/16



You didn’t think I was gonna leave you all loopy yesterday, after showing you how to make the loop crochet stitch, did you? Nah, I wouldn’t do that to all you wonderful people! That just wouldn’t be nice at all. Besides, I’ve been having a wonderful time diddly-doing with my loop stitch, and after all it is spring – well almost, anyway…a perfect time to show you how to make an exciting new crochet flower, using the fancy-free loop stitch, of course.

This flower has a large and colorful bloom, and you can use 4-ply yarn, doily thread or even fabric strips to make it. I used 4-ply cotton scrap yarn and a size I crochet hook for the version pictured. It shows up better in photos for demonstration purposes, and truth be told, I love my cotton yarn. It’s one of my favorites to work with, though I do enjoy dabbling with all sorts of different yarns.

Incidentally, one of the things I truly enjoy doing with my crochet flowers is attaching magnets to the backs and putting them on my fridge. It’s also a lot of fun to use bobby-pins and put them in my hair and they make great embellishments to purses, belts, scarves and clothing. Not to get carried away with ideas, you can also attach pipe cleaner for a stem, and put them in vases.

Loop Stitch Flower

Uses 2 colors: Color A & Color B

Step 1: Using Color A, chain 4 and make a ring; single crochet 8 times in center of ring

Step 2: Chain 1, turn, make 4 (short) loop stitches in each sc around

Step 3: Join with a slip stitch to 1st single crochet, chain 1, turn, sc in same space

Step 4: Chain 2, skip next 2 stitches, single crochet in next stitch

{Repeat Step 4 around. Join with a slip stitch to 1st sc. Break off Color A.}

Step 5: Join Color B to any chain 2 loop; chain 3 (counts as 1st double crochet), dc 2 more times, chain 1, dc 3 more times (beginning dc V-stitch) in same chain 2 loop.

Step 6: Single crochet in next loop; make dc V-stitch (3dc, chain 1, 3 dc) in next loop.

{Repeat Step 6 around, joining with a slip stitch to top chain of 1st dc; turn}

Step 7: Single crochet in next sc, chain 5 around to make loops behind petals of previous round; join with a slip stitch to 1st single crochet. (6 chain 5 loops)

Step 8: Turn; slip stitch into 1st loop

Step 9: Make beginning dc V-stitch (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 1, 3 dc), single crochet, make dc V-stitch in same loop

Step 10: Make (dc V-stitch, sc, dc V-stitch) in remaining loops around. Join with a slip stitch to top chain of 1st dc. Finish off. Weave in loose ends.






©2016 All Rights Reserved