Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Gardener’s Delight – A Place that Gives Me Creative Inspiration

by M. J. Joachim
Updated 4/20/16


Hello good people!

You may remember me talking about the recent thunderstorms we had here last weekend in my last post. It’s a rare and wonderful event for us southwestern desert folk, a time to get out and garden once they past, while the ground is soft from all the pleasing moisture. I’m an avid gardener, and the opportunity was not to be missed, especially since my garden is also one of the places that give me inspiration for many of my crochet projects, as well as a bounty of fresh produce for my family.

I follow the weather report around here and keep close tabs on expected rain. If I know it’s coming, I hold off pulling weeds, moving dirt and transplanting plants, because it’s so much easier to do after the ground is soaked. Today was the day – the weeds are nearly all gone. A new bed was created and filled with a layer of weeds, a layer of old desert dirt, a layer of compost and finally a layer of top soil. Off I went to purchase produce plants after that, and as you can see, I have a wonderful new bed full of herbs, peppers, tomatoes, squash and cucumbers. I also transplanted my artichokes – they were in plastic pots that had become brittle and the poor things needed more space to spread their roots so they could grow fruits for me anyway. Then I filled in a few bare spots with seeds that will grow more snow peas, peas and green beans. 

The current plants have been more than generous all winter, but they’re slowly starting to cut back on production, something I’m not looking forward to at all. Sweetest snow peas I’ve ever eaten, I tell ya!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy these pictures of my garden and invite you to share comments about where you get inspiration for your crochet projects.






©2016 All Rights Reserved