Monday, March 5, 2012

Crazy Yarn Scarves Using Basic Crochet Stitches

by M. J. Joachim
Updated 4/19/16



I enjoy experimenting with some of the more playful and what I like to call “crazy yarns” when I crochet. These yarns are great for quick and easy projects, because the yarn is the main attraction. Consequently, it is advisable to use simple, basic stitches when creating items using these unique and exciting yarns.

The scarves pictured on this post were made while serving my time on jury duty one year. I took a large plastic hook and a big ball of this fuzzy yarn downtown, where I sat diligently working on my project, waiting to be called or dismissed in the courthouse.

Using double crochet stitches throughout, it was easy to make a long scarf in no time at all. I started with a foundation chain wide enough to please me, and proceeded to crochet to my heart’s content. Several people commented on my work and progress. During lunch, I showed one lady how easy it was to crochet. A few others decided this was something they were definitely going to learn to do too.

Simple Crazy Yarn Scarf

Foundation Chain: 10 to 12 inches wide

Step 1: Double crochet in 4th chain from hook and in each chain across

Step 2: Chain 3, turn, double crochet in each double crochet

Repeat Step 2 for pattern. Finish off when scarf is length desired

Flowery Crazy Yarn Scarf

Foundation Chain: 15 – 20 inches wide

Step 1: Double crochet in 4th chain from hook and in each chain across

Step 2: Chain 3, turn, double crochet in each double crochet across

Step 3: Gradually reduce width by skipping last stitch in row evenly across scarf.

Step 4: Make (or purchase) flowers to attach to wider portion of scarf.

Have fun with this step, letting whatever crazy yarn you use guide flower placement. I chose to make a simple pattern, but you might prefer to cover the entire bottom section in overlapping flowers. You can even use your favorite motifs instead of flowers, opting to attach geometric shapes like squares, circles and triangles to your scarf. Add as many embellishments as you’d like including beads, ribbon and lace. I crocheted simple, one dimensional flowers and attached them with fusible web on the scarf pictured.

©2016 All Rights Reserved