Thursday, February 23, 2012

Honeycomb Stitch Bathroom Rug

by M. J. Joachim
Updated 4/19/16




I’m sure every crocheter has made one of those projects that started out wonderfully, but didn’t quite turn out as planned. My most recent one happened over a bathroom rug I decided to make, since my bathmats were beyond ready to be disposed of in the trash. It began when I taught myself how to make the honeycomb stitch, and decided this same stitch would be perfect for making the rug.

I already had two large skeins of white and cream colored cotton yarn. To make the rug, I used both yarns together and a large hook. I measured my space with a measuring tape, and proceeded to crochet a long chain. Then I worked the honeycomb stitch for my pattern until I had a large rectangle that would fit in front of my shower.

I’m thinking it’s important to pay a little closer attention when working on large projects like this, because as you can see in the picture, my honeycomb stitch created three vertical rows in the middle of my project, and I should have paid much more attention to my side edges. The honeycomb stitch is a little bit tricky. You have to get it just right at the beginning and end of each row, or you end up changing the pattern in the middle of it.

Once I get into my groove when crocheting, I usually can pick up where I left off no matter how many distractions occur. Not so with the honeycomb stitch, as you can plainly see. However, I’m thinking part of the problem is that I’ve never made a rug before, and this was the learning curve phase, where most people learn from trial and error.




I’m not giving up, good people. Before I even finished making this little ditty for my bathroom, I decided to make a rug for my kitchen too. Rugs are fun crochet projects to make, and even though this bathmat didn’t exactly turn out like I had planned, it is very functional and charming, not to mention comfy to step on when you get out of the shower.




©2016 All Rights Reserved